Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 160: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 87: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 129: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 130: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 214: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1454: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3531: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3532: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3533: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Slouppi • View topic - Visitors at OLHAVA, please read this.

Slouppi

Rock climbing and Bouldering in Finland
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 03:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Visitors at OLHAVA, please read this.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 20:39 

Thank you for visiting Finland’s most important rock climbing destination. But, I want to underline certain very important rules concerning camping at Olhava and generally in our national/nature parks.

I was climbing at Olhava on May 3rd t - May 6th and met an extremely unpleasant scenery when entering the “Olhava climbers camp” at the half-island below the cliff. Somebody had obviously abandoned part of his /her base camp and left it with lots of trashes lying all over the place. There was a green tarp, which was full of holes due to illegal fire on the beach, a fish holster, a water canister, a plastic wastes and food left-overs spread around 30 square meters. All plastic wastes had Russian labels and among them there was also a ruined titanium ice screw. Therefore, my strong guess is that the litters must have been climbers from Russia.

Well, who ever it was, it actually does not matter, but the main point is that all bad behavior is directly connected to all climbers from the point of view of park authorities and the passers by. The cliff is visited almost on a daily basis during the season by normal day tourists who come to see the cliffs. All these people walk past the Olhava base camp and surely, if the place looks like a dump, it is not left unnoticed.

This kind of behavior can have dramatic changes in the park policy as to climbers and their rights which already now are restricted and carefully controlled. Olhava is the only cliff in Finland in this size and quality. Loosing the access permission there would be a tremendous lost for the whole sport in Finland.

Please, respect the Finnish law and national-park rules whenever climbing at Olhava (and all other cliffs). Here are some basic rules and more can be found at http://www.luontoon.fi:

-The so called “every mans right” is a precious old Scandinavian principle, which however does not mean, that you can do whatever you wish to do where ever, especially in nature and in national parks.
-Making a fire is only permitted in designated campfire places; in all other cases you must ask separately the permission from the land owner and local Fire authorities. When a forest-fire warning is on, it is absolutely forbidden to make any fire outside the designated fire places and even then, the common sense and special care must be undertaken.
-Leave no marks of your visit; take all waste, including food left-overs (do not think that animals will eat them) with you. For human waste use designated dry-lavatories or dig a small hole in the ground, away from the camps, trails etc. and fill it with dirt afterwards. Do not pee directly into lakes, but on the ground. Same applies to dish-water; do not pour it directly into lake, but instead into the same hole where your own waste goes to.
-Do not abandon or leave around any equipment, thinking that somebody will use them or some “park-workers” will clean the place, as there is no such system. What ever you bring with you, you are capable of taking it away as well. The future of our national/nature parks and recreational areas, including climbing crags, lies in our own hands.

Additionally, making of new routes is always under permission. Do not alternate old routes, do not dry tool or techno if the route/cliff is not meant for that.

My meaning is not to point out anybody or any nationality, I just want to express my deep worries concerning the future use of our crags, there are also many Finns who obviously don't understand the importance of these things and for example car parking politics at crags, which easily leads to acces problems.

Thank you and enjoy our clean environment!

Toni Fohlin
climber

PS If the owner of this tarp mentioned below wants it back, contact this forum.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 09:07 

I have a strong feeling that whoever it might be that visited Olhava, they also read this forum:

KEEP YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AND PUT THE TRASHES IN THE TRASH BINS, SHOULD NOT BE TOO MUCH REQUIRED IF YOU MANAGED TO DRAG YOUR ASSES TO OLHAVA FROM RUSSIA OR WHEREVER YOU CAME FROM!!! IF THAT IS TOO DEMANDING FOR YOU I SUGGEST YOU GO TO ULAN BATUR OR SIMILAR PLACE INSTEAD OF OLHAVA NEXT TIME!!!

Don´t know the situation nowadays in olhava but I hope this littering is not a growing trend ...

doh, I say

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 

Inappropriate comments removed.

I hope that the climbers who left all the garbage around the Olhava climbing site had an excellent climbing holiday in Finland. Thank you for coming and visiting our country.

Last edited by Alppipässi on Wed May 09, 2007 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 

I'm not sure what you were referring to as a civilized environment, but prolly not this discussion. One could argue if Kouvola if civilized, or the surrounding forests for that matter :) , but that is not the point.

This discussion has gone way past civilized.

Please.

Yes, it is very disturbing that Olhava gets treated badly, but the conversation could be more constructive. As it was in Toni's original posting.

I hope you guys calm down a bit before your next post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 

as i am possibly the most polite writer of the forum i find comments above quite harsh. there's no need for a personal attack as you obviously cannot know who has left the litter.

it's quite clear that no one wants olhava being ruined. guess that all of you are able to express yourself in a nicer way and the result will be the same! and i'm sure that the visitors will keep the shit together - apparently this has very little to do with the litter but will sure help you not hurting yourself..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 15:05 

Yep,

Olli the diplomat & Phege said it; it is not fair to blame anyone personally without evidence.

In the best case this is a one time incident.

(But as humans in group sometimes behave like a hybrid of a monkey and a pig, it is necessary to bring up what is good behaviour and what is not ...)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 17:43 

Muistakaahan myös itse käyttäytyä ulkomailla ja reissuilla siivosti. Viimeksi viime kesänä löysin alpeilta ison kasan roskia joissa oli tekstit suomeksi ja ruotsiksi. Jos jaksaa kantaa ruoan vuorille, pitää jaksaa kantaa ne roskat alas, vaikka olisi minkälainen kiipeily- tai laskureitti edessä. hyihyi, kyllä hävetti.

And same in english: Also Finns should carry their waste away and respect the nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 23:03 

ja edelleen sloupin linja on se, että kaikenmaailman alppipässit voisivat ilmoittaa oman nimensä samalla, kun hyökkäävät henkilökohtaisuuksin muiden kimppuun.

ystävällisin terveisin,
samuli /slouppi.net
ps. kiitos olli ja phege

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:05 

I met some LITHUANIAN/RUSSIAN climbers in Louhos, and instructed them to visit Olhava nearby, SO PLEASE HEAR ME NOW. The reason Olhava is so good place to chill around and climb is that it is well kept place (this means that you enjoy it, when there's no carbage/waste around) This is a scandinavian thing to do and maybe this doesnt happen in eastern countries?!

So Enjoy climbing in Future it is free, but DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TRASHES OR ANY SIGN OF YOUR VISIT IN THE NATURE=CARRY ALL PLASTICS AND WASTES BACK TO THE PLACE YOU PARKED YOUR CAR. THERE IS A PLACE YOU CAN PUT YOUR TRASHES.

This is not too much asked for enjoying the clean nature. It was clean (hopefully) when you arrived so keep it in that way. :)

Mikko Tukiainen (the guy you met in the LOuhos)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 15:23 

I guess the point in this Olhava issue is clear by now to all.

So, “lessons” learnt:

1. As we all know the ones littering are not always climbers, but also the non-climbers, we just have to carry the guilt. The only thing what we climbers can do about it, is always carry so much litter away from the cliffs we can, disregarding whoever left it. Or, if there is really lots of it, like I heard there was once again at Olhava base camp early this week, after the incident I mentioned, collect it all together and make an announcement to park authorities to go and collect it before animals spread it around. This way we give a clear signal to authorities and land-owners that we care about the landscape. Usually this is what they want from us in order to grant permission for climbing. Simple, is it not?

2. Once again this spring a couple of other access issues appeared, as you can see from other current topics. It is very good that people are getting aware of the access issues. I think we must prevent acces problems with all possible measures beforehand. The question is not of neurotic fear of loosing access rights, but rather preparation for growing number of cliff users. The Finnish Climbing Association web pages have a good access summary in finnish language: http://www.climbing.fi/index.php?topmenu_id=12. But of course it could be even better and more frequently updated. At http://www.slouppi.net/allAreas.phtml there is a very good e-database with topos. Still it can be rather difficult to find all acces details from the texts, specially if you just want to check updates, or ask something about a certain cliff.

My suggestion is to make a separate “easy-to-find and up-to-date” pure access topic at Slouppi Forums. The topic could include all the major cliffs in alphabetical order and the persons in charge of the cliffs in order to provide other people with up-to-date further instructions etc. Or even a simple table containing the currently most important access issues. The subjects could be: parking, paths, camping, fires, climbing restrictions and special things to care about. Preferably in English as most Finns can easily read it, but most importantly, Slouppi also gives good service and helpful info to the still very rare foreign visitors.

Slouppi has fast become one of the most important info channels for our climbing community. I appreciate a lot the voluntary administration of it and the registered users who do not hide behind pseudonyms and who try to keep this site constructive. It is good to remember that this kind of a site is really within the “world-wide-web”. As a climbing community we give an image of us via this site to all climbing newcomers, foreign visitors and also people who have nothing to with the vertical world. There are so many sites that are totally nonsense; I do hope this site remains a constructive resource for the community.

Toni Fohlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:51 

This is really depressing to read. I can't believe that anyone, from any country, doesn't get the idea that you don't leave your shit behind when you are in the countryside.

Having said that, I've been going to Olhava for a decade and it has become "urbanized". It has struck me that the situation might have become worse since it became part of the national park - because the park has increased visitor interest. I don't understand why there needs to be a lavu (have I spelt that right? The open hut thingy) at Olhava for instance, with a fireplace all the attendant equipment that normally involves. If people want to go there why can't they just take a stove and a tent? Lavus always seem to attract junk - empty beer bottles, cans, beer bottle lids. If there is some litter there already, it makes it easier for the idiots who left all this rubbish behind recently to do so.[/u]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 23:13 

I have also seen some pretty bad behaviour from Finnish people abroad.

No, I didn't see the guys, but I saw a lot of rubbish (Juice, pea soup cans, spirit bottles with Finnish text all over them) left buy apparently Finnish fellows.

This was in Kvalvika, Norway. It's true that there was a lot of rubbish already (brought by the sea), but that shouldn't be a reason to litter more :|

So would it be that when we travel abroad, it isn't our country anymore, so we just stop caring...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 23:25 

that must have been ours. had to leave it there after a minor storm
broke three tents in two hours and got our mats totally wet so. was a misson to walk out even without the left over food but we didnt really have a choice cause a major storm was arriving in the evening.. will carry them back when visiting next time - and save my soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 23:30 

Didn't see that one coming :D

Nice to know that there was a reason to leave the stuff behind.

That must've been a nice walk in a pouring rain...

Post subject: for all
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 21:41 

hey,

we have been in Olhava this period and we are Russians, we keep the shit togather, because we are citizrens of the climbing and world wide community. on the 2 of May , when the snow was come and cover about 15 cm of snow our friend fall down and it was the bad incident exists, we hurry up nd take the shiit together, otherwise we stay till the end of our vacation -next time probably we will climb in ULAN BATOR- there are some walls and may be the kind harted people. thank You Brothers, we will do our best,

Sorry for having access to the land of pure cold.

Profile E-mail