Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 160: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 87: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 129: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 130: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 214: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1454: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3531: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3532: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3533: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Slouppi • View topic - Hyökyaalto teki tuhoa

Slouppi

Rock climbing and Bouldering in Finland
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 19:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hyökyaalto teki tuhoa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:00 

Tapanina hyökyaalto teki tuhoa kaukoidässä. Onko kukaan kuullut, kuinka pahaa tuhoa aalto teki esim.Thaimaan suosituilla kiipeilyalueilla? Mahtoiko paikan päällä olla suomalaisia kiipeilijöitä?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:18 

8a.nu:sta
Quote:
It seems like the tsunami that hit Railay beach and especially Tonsai were very mild compared to other nearby tourist resorts like Ao nang and Phi-Phi. This is most probably due to some islands that acted as a shield against the full force of the tsunami.

One climber had to clip himself in to a quickdraw when the belayer had to leave the beach in panic and several, who didn't see the big wave comming, were caught by the tidal wave. Some persons have been reported as missing but no climbers are among them, as far as we know.

Life is slowly getting back to normal and there has actually been some climbing activity today but most climbers have been helping out to clean and build up the restaurants again. The climbers were very lucky at Tonsai!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:06 

Muutamalta suomalaiskiipeilijältä sain tekstarin että ovat kunnossa.

Alla 8a.nu :sta lainattua tekstiä.

"Where to begin.... don't have too much time to write an all inclusive account of the last 24 hours, but wanted to let you know a bit about how it all went down, how I am doing, and how things are here in the aftermath.

Yesterday at 8am the earthquake hit. Suprisingly to me, I didn't feel it. I must have been walking down towards the beach at that point, and there were only a few who actually felt it. Strange that it was that big and only very few felt it. I was climbing down at the beach and I remember commenting to someone near me that the tide went out extremeley fast, but I didn't think twice about it, and no one seemed to be at all concerned.

Sometime around 11am the waves showed up on the horizon. When I first saw them they were about 1km from the beach, so we did have quite a bit of warning. It must have taken about one min or more from teh time I saw them to when the first ones starting coming in to the beach, but the tide was so extraordinarily low that it took 7 or 8 waves until the water was really reaching up towards the buildings. (there was not any one big wave, but more a series of say 10-12 waves that came in with only 4 or 5 hitting the buildings).

I had just packed my backpack up with all my stuff when I saw them. Big crests very far out and hard to really tell how big they were. I ran from Dum's kitchen over to the freedom bar (for those who know where that is). there were a number people standing there watching, so i took a moment, put my bag down and started taking pictures. I had the zoom on full so it was hard to see the size of the waves that at that time were out pounding the sailboats in the bay. In the picture i sent along you can see that they were cresting at maybe 5m, but still very far out. I took about 10 pictures and then realized that the waves were going to hit the shore and i was in a bad spot, standing right on the patio of the freedom bar. I turned around, grabbed my bag and started running for the path heading towards the hills. I only got about 2 meters before a wave hit me from behind, taking out my feet and i found myself being swept in to the bar. I remember chairs banging into me and maintaining some sense of balance in the 1.5m of water that was in the bar. I got to my feet after having been under for only 1s or so, and i was struck again from behind by another wave which pushed me up against the bar. Without thinking i jumped up into the dj booth, perched about 2m over the floor of the bar and was out of the water. I was completely soaked, knew that I had lost my camera and some other things from my bag, but was only thinking about the next set of waves coming in. I then realized that the internet cafe/massage parlor next to freedom had been washed away and that the roof of the freedom bar was beginning to sag. I was in a very bad spot since if the building had collapsed i would have been totally stuck. Luckily, the worst of the first wave had passed and the water topped out at about 1.5m in the freedom bar. 1 minute later it had drained out and i climbed down the from the dj booth that had saved me. I got a couple of scratches, but survived remarkably intact.

for the next 10 15 minutes people showed up on the beach again but then a second set of waves came in. This time I ran up the ladder to the platform above tonsai wall, about 15m above the sand. from there along wtih about 10 other people we watched the second set of waves come in which were about the same size as the first.

That was the last of the real waves though a lot of people were very worried the whole time that another set would come in.

In the end, no one that i know is confirmed dead here on tonsai beach. There are some people saying that this person or that person is missing, but it's impossible to know for sure. I only saw one person who was seriously injured, a woman who was in one of the sailboats from the picture that was smashed up against the rocks, but she didn't look too badly injured besides a lot of scrapes and bruises.

As far as the beach is concerned. Nearly all the longtail boats were tossed up on the beach, sometimes as far as 30m from the shoreline. The N side of tonsai was protected a bit from the direct waves and more boats survived there, but every boat by freedom bar and over on railay west was destroyed. The whole area around tina's and sawadee bar was completely flattened. The area around freedom bar and the tourist office was cleaned out but the buildings are standing. over in railay all the concrete structures on teh beach are okay, but everthing in them was washed away.

Today has been quite amazing. Some people have left via the few boats goign back and forth to ao nang, but huge numbers of climbers/tourists are helping the locals sift through the rubble, tear down broken buildings, and start to clean up. they are safing gas for the generators, so the thais have been giving away food that is spoiling, and in general a very positive atmosphere is present. i imagine it's a different story in railay, but here on tonsai the climbers are doing a great job helping out and staying here to start the rebuilding process. Go climbers!"

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:22 

Just tuli radiosta, että muutama Helsinkiläinen nuori kiipeilijä on jääneet vapaaehtoisiksi auttamaan muita alueelle. Niin sitä pitää!!! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 13:37 

www.sukellus.fi raportoi myös kuuden suomalaisen kiipeilijän olevan kunnossa, mutta jumissa Tonsai Beachilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 14:24 

Haastan Sloupin lukijat SPR:n keräykseen mukaan sopivaksi katsomallaan summalla. Todella järkyttävä tapahtuma.

http://www.redcross.fi/ajankohtaista/notice/?id=914

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 16:05 

Lonely Planetin forumista:

Hi everybody,
Firstly I just want to say that I’m fine here living at TonSai, Krabi, Southern Thailand.
We’re about 40 metres above sea level and plenty high enough to be safe I think.
It’s now 21:30 on 27th and I’m writing from the comfort of my bungalow and I’ll send this as soon as I can find another computer to send it from.
I’ve sent out a lot of text messages but networks are overloaded over here as you can expect so not all messages are getting through in either direstion. I said that nobody I know was hurt but I’ve just found out this evening that a Thai friend (solei) has been admitted to Krabi hospital today from Phi Phi island (40km away) which was devastated apparently. We’ve heard that 250 are dead there alone but there’s so many rumours around that we don’t know what to believe – if anybody knows any more please let me know ( the same goes for any information if you hear it please – my mobile number is +447989 331553 and I can usually receive text messages on that). We’ve sometimes been able to watch BBC world and it seems like 15,000 are confirmed dead from here to India already from some reports at least.
There’s no risk to water contamination for us up here as the water was nowhere near coming up to us (at Andaman Nature Resort) as our water comes down from the mountain and sewerage pipes are intact. Food is short but not desperate as we can walk to Ao-Nang (1hour) if necessary.

On 26th I was heading for a rest day on PhraNang beach when I saw Lars and friends climbing on and around ‘Elephant’ and ‘Stalagasaurus’ on TonSai wall so I stopped to watch. Roughly 1 hour from high tide they were still climbing and ropes were about to get wet as the tide was due to come in further. Just 2-5 minutes later the tide
The tide had gone out about 5-10 Metres and left streaks in the sand and weird ripples. I mentioned this to a few of them and Lars Jones immediately realised that a big wave was due. We looked at the horizon and it looked very sharp and unusual, then it gained a white line and we realised it was true. There was a bit of shouting as climbers were lowered and untied, nothing was rushed as it all was happening so slowly. Cameras came out and people stood around watching. It seemed to take 2 minutes for it to reach us. We saw ‘pre’waves hitting the nearest small island and progressively going higher and higher until spray washed right over it and then the real wave came which was about 15 metres high I guessed at the time. We were very lucky to have the really low angled beach for about 1Km or so here and the wave broke before that so all we got at the shore was fast moving water about 5 or 6 metres high. It turned over 2 big yachts and destroyed them and then the last of us ran off the beach.
Next bit was a bit vague and fast as there were 2 big waves and we ran as fast as we could up the hill past TonSai Restaurant then realised we had more time so ran back to see it coming. Lots of people were filming. 1st wave got closer so we ran back a bit, stopped then ran again as the water came higher. Water receded slowly and we ran back to beach front to see next wave(s) coming. Filthy water everywhere and a few cuts to some peoples’ feet from to glass of beachfront shops. Water stayed 4 metres higher than normal high tide and slowly went down before next wave came and I think that was a bit bigger. Not sure which wave dumped the longtail boats beyond the beach.
Everybody ran uphill after that and remained up.
Me and Terje put on running shoes and went over the back path to Railay East to see what we could do. I was quite scared about what we would find as Railay is a lot lower and flatter. TJ ran ahead and I directed people up the little known path over to TonSai. Only chairs were moved by the water on Railay East. After a while I ran over to Railay West to see if I could help anyone but most had already gone. Amazingly there were very few injuries. Almost all long tail boats cleared off beach and dumped through and up some trees, some dumped where the front of Sunset Restaurant was. 1 boat in pool at Railay Village. Everything destroyed on the beach front.
Ran back to Railay East where I was told of another big wave in 30 minutes – 3 waves hit Phuket we were told but only 2 reached us. We tried to get everybody else up the path to Diamond Cave on the way to TonSai. I’ve never run so hard back and forward. Went back to TonSai relaying messages of expected waves and people with lost loved ones. We all got up to a high viewpoint and waited around for a few hours.
This morning I went for another look around all our areas including PhraNang beach where I should have been yesterday (26th) and saw big yachts destroyed and upside down in the sea and all long tails boats again dumped past the beach and well into the trees. There’s normally 200 or so people sunbathing everyday on that beach. I know at least a handful of people died there and somewhere between 10 and 40 we guess in this area – kayakers, snorkelers, divers and people just caught in the wrong place too late. Some of the beach would have had no warning at all. Some of the Thai beach food vendors were still in their boats as the waves hit apparently. We were lucky to be climbing as so close to the sea as we saw it go out so quickly.
There’s such a deep feeling of sorrow here but we’re getting on with helping the Thai’s clear up, knock down and burn damaged buildings, chairs, tables, etc....
Almost everybody on Tonsai beach are staying, Sand Sea resort and the posh Dusit Rayavadee have been evacuated this morning and most package tourists have left – some on 2 boats from Krabi (nearest town with a hospital) and some when the Thai Army turned up with some food and water at 14:00 this afternoon.
We’ve only seen 5 functional longtail boats on Railay East,none on PhraNang beach, none on Railay West (wave came from West) and we’ve heard that only a couple are intact at AoNang – there’s normally at about 80 longtails spread across the areas.
For anybody that’s been to AoNang – remember how far it is from the water to the beach and then from the beach up to the road… there were 6 metre long boats dumped up there!
Anyway, as I said before we really are ok so don’t worry!!
I’m going to have to sign off now as I’m really tired and we have another long day tomorrow.

Ok, take care everybody and please wish the best for the tens of thousands of people that need a lot of luck right now.
Love,
M
just sending mail now and heard this morning that there's now 23,000 confirmed dead in all. I just can't imagine how many more times that's going to increase by????
went to hospital today to see a Thai friend but he's been released so he seems to be ok thankfully. Krabi hospital is surprisingly organised.they were asking for volunteers to go to 2 of thailands mostly badly hit islands with unknown numbers of people burried under sand and mud - i had to decline as i don't think i could face digging up and handling bodies.
bad news... he has left krabi hospital but is now in HatYai hospital with broken limbs and spine. we don't have any info on his condition other than he's to be operated on. his name is Solei (Wallop-real first name) Umbut if anybody knows him? please send some thoughts his way and obviously to the probable hundreds of thousands of dead, burried and missing.
and don't worry about us as we're fine with fresh water and enough food for quite a while
take care all,
M

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 17:06 

YleX haastatteli pätkän verran Antonia, joka jäi sinne muun porukan kanssa auttelemaan. Hieman jäi tuntu, ettei herran sana ollut Ylen mieleen, ku aika lyhyeen jäi... :o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 17:37 

Kannattaiskohan sieltä kuitenkin tulla pois jos nuo kulkutaudit alkaa levitä... Malaria ja denguekuume leviää hyttysten mukana vaikka puhdasta vettäkin olisi saatavilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 00:43 

Toivon mukaan kaikki suomalaiset ja kaikki muutkin on päässyt turvallisesti kotiin.
Oli kyl liian paha paikka, onnea kaikille selvinneille!
Paljon jaksamista niille kaikille joiden omaiset on vielä kadoksissa.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: jäämisestä
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 08:18 

Mulle jäi antonin puheista sellanen kuva että siellä kylässä missä he olivat ei ollut kuollut Kuin 3. (yks on jo liikaa).
Anton puhu haastattelussa lähinnä kiipeilykaupan menettämisestä ja kaupan omistajien auttamisesta. Koska aalto vei kaiken elinkeinon ja oikeastaan mitään ei jäänyt jäljelle.
Ehkä ylex odotti että antonin pitäis lähtee pahimmalle katastrofi alueelle kantaa ruumiita tai jotain.
Toivotaan että kulkutaudit/epidemiat ei leviä mitenkään räjähdysmäisesti.
Lähtihän sinne paljon avustustyöntekijöitäkin. Toivotan onea heillekin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 19:39 

Camu näköjään järjestää Antonin pyynnöstä välinekeräystä Tonsain ja Railayn kaupoille joilta on mennyt kaikki vuokra (ja muu) kama aaltojen mukana. Camun sivuilta lisää tietoa...

AoNang ja Railay (ja ilmeisesti myös Tonsai) alkaa ilmeisesti kuvista (http://www.krabi.com/ao_nang_tsunami1.htm ) päätellen olevan jo kuosissa...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 20:03 
Satojatuhansia ihmisiä surmannut ja miljoonia ihmisiä kodittomiksi jättänyt, mittasuhteiltaan käsittämätöntä katastrofia on mahdoton ymmärtää. Avun tarve alueella on suunnaton. Katastrofi muutti hetkessä useamman ihmisen elämää, kuin koko Suomessa on asukkaita.

On jokaisen auttavan henkilökohtainen asia, miten haluaa oman pienen panoksensa käytettävän. Auttaa voi usealla tavalla, eikä yksi tapa sulje toista auttamismuotoa pois. Onkohan välinekeräyksen yhteydessä kuitenkaan pohdittu riittävästi merkityksiä seuraaville sanoille: tärkeysjärjestys, arvomaailma ja harkintakyky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:43 
hemia wrote:
Onkohan välinekeräyksen yhteydessä kuitenkaan pohdittu riittävästi merkityksiä seuraaville sanoille: tärkeysjärjestys, arvomaailma ja harkintakyky?

Näyttävät nuo termit pahasti heittävän valtion johtoa myöten...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 13:47 

Quote:
Onkohan välinekeräyksen yhteydessä kuitenkaan pohdittu riittävästi merkityksiä seuraaville sanoille: tärkeysjärjestys, arvomaailma ja harkintakyky?

Mun mielestä välinekeräyksessä ei ole mitään vikaa. Rahaa tuolla alueella kuluu jälleenrakentamiseen enemmän kuin sitä pystytään lahjoittamaan. Juuri välinekeräyksen kaltainen elinkeinon tukeminen parantaa alueen omavaraisuutta. Kun kiipeilykaupat ovat kunnossa, vetää alue kiipeilyturisteja, jotka tuovat rahaa alueelle. Tämä elättää paikallisia pidemmän aikaa kuin yksittäinen suuri lahjoitussumma.

Tietenkin tulee ajatelleeksi, että apu tulee kohdistaa pahiten kärsineille alueille, missä sitä eniten tarvitaan. Turismia tukemalla kuitenkin saadaan aikaan jatkuva rahavirta epäsuorasti koko maahan. Paras tuki olisikin varmaan lähteä Thaimaahan lomalle mahdollisimman pian.