Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/customers/klippi/public_html/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 160: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 87: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 129: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 130: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 214: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1454: htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso8859-10' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3531: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3532: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3533: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Slouppi • View topic - Nice and dry in Helsinki

Slouppi

Rock climbing and Bouldering in Finland
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 13:01

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 21:54 

-- Posted by jonas on 3:25 pm on April 2, 2001

Are there any dry boulder areas or crags in helsinki yet?

Best regards

Jonas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Posted by Samppa on 7:07 pm on April 2, 2001

Have you been here before?

Probably Koivusaari near the city center is your best shot for harder bouldering. Sadly it's only one boulder but with quality problems. The ground might be wet though...it's so close to the sea. Maybe someone has already visited the place?

About 15mins from the center is Pihlajamäki which has easy problems. It's definitely dry.

On my opinion the best bouldering in Helsinki will stay wet for a long time: Mellunmäki

I don't know but for a roped climbing Falkberget might be dry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Posted by Toby on 2:36 pm on April 3, 2001

I was bouldering three weekends ago at Meilahti and it was dry then, although you had to jump off into ankle deep snow. Basically if it is not raining you can clim at Meilahti!

By the way when was the damage done? I didn't notice 3 weeks ago, but only climbed on right side of the crag.

-- Posted by Jarkko on 11:53 am on April 4, 2001

Toby: It was about then. The damage is not as bad as it seems if you read rakka.net. One large foot hold (brick-sized) was broken from the right side of the crag (right of the little roof) and some small holds are slightly damaged.

The small faces in Kivikko (no topo, some 15-20 easy face climbs, 3-5m high) have been dry for some weeks already, I think that all south-facing crags and boulders are dry in Helsinki.

-- Posted by Samppa on 12:36 pm on April 4, 2001

Looks like all the major spots are dry. Only the main face at Taivaskallio and Mellunmäki are still wet.

It's 10degrees warm and sunny so...

BTW Falkberget was already dry day before yesterday.

-- Posted by jonas on 12:38 pm on April 4, 2001

Thanks for the info!

-- Posted by Toby on 12:54 pm on April 4, 2001

I was only given the edited highlights of the rakka.net discussion! It sounded "interesting", although my sources were far from complimentary on some of the contributions.

I'm going to Meihlahti this evening to see if I can get my fingers to work after a winter of swinging tools!

Missa on Kivikko? I don't think I've been there...
cheers,
Toby.

-- Posted by Jarkko on 3:21 pm on April 4, 2001

Not many people have been there. Kivikko is located between Kontula and Lahden moottoritie-highway. You can get there from Kontula metrostation by bus 94B or by foot (approx. 1km). There are about 5 small faces "hidden" in the woods, all are located near a small road that goes around the woods. You can find a map in http://www.hel.fi/grafiikka/jakomaki.gif
The small road is the white one on the bottom left corner, above the text "Kivikko" The map is very old, there are more roads now. All places worth climbing can be seen from the roads. There is some potential for new problems (difficulty finnish 4...6+) if you are willing to clean. The problems there are not "classics" or of high quality. I did most of them early in spring (desperate to get outside) a couple of years ago when I lived nearby. They are among the first places to dry in Helsinki.

-- Posted by Toby on 8:55 am on April 5, 2001

Thanks for the info Jarrko, I'll check it out sometime.

I was at Meilahti last night. The far left end of the crag is really wet, but the rest is fine. The ground was still very wet and muddy, and I didn't have a mat which didn't help; if you go take something to stand on.